Why Teach with Film?
While there may be substantive debate about the value of video in language education, there are many arguments favoring film as a resource for instruction. In his 1999 article “
- give students realistic models to imitate for role-play
- increase awareness of other cultures by teaching appropriateness and suitability
- strengthen audio/visual linguistic perceptions simultaneously
- widen the classroom repertoire and range of activities
- help utilize the latest technology to facilitate language learning
- teach direct observation of the paralinguistic features found in association with the target language
- provide relevant scenarios and language for students of language for special purposes
- offer a visual reinforcement of the target language and can lower anxiety when practicing the skill of listening.