This is a list of web resources that can be used by both students and instructors to enhance the language learning experience.
Language Teaching with Technology
Wikis are a wonderfully flexible tool for crating collaborative learning environments.
- Columbia Wikispaces is a protected and safe wiki environment that provides a wiki for any course offered at Columbia University (instructors, click the "activate" button at right). Wikispaces make it easy to share your syllabus and assignments, while also creating a collaborative space for your students.
- Columbia Wikischolars can be used by Columbia faculty, staff and graduate students as well, but can also be made available to non-Columbia affiliates. Researchers, scholars, and instructors may use Wikischolars if their audience includes non-Columbia members.
- PB Works free wikis for education. (Free, web-based)
Blogs are a great tool for the development of student writing.
- Columbia EdBlogs provides a blog for any course offered at Columbia University upon the course instructor's request. EdBlogs make it easy to share course content and create an online community using a blogging format.
- Weebly free blogs for education. (Free, web-based)
- Piazza Piazza is a free online gathering place where students can ask, answer, and explore 24/7, under the guidance of their instructors. (Free, web-based)
- Voicethread VoiceThread is a totally web-based application that allows you to place collections of media like images, videos, documents, and presentations at the center of an asynchronous conversation.
- Google Hangouts Free group videoconferencing and screensharing web-based platform. Hangouts on Air allow chats to be recorded and played back later. (Free, web-based)
- Adobe Connect A robust conferencing platform that allows a large number of users to screenshare and capture presentations. (Licensed software and web portal)
- Skype Allows for one-to-one videoconferencing. Screensharing and group chatting are premium features. (Limited free software)
- Facetime One-to-one screensharing and video chat for Mac OS and iOS only. (Free software)
Free Video Hosting
When choosing a free video hosting platform, consider issues of privacy and copyright. The services below all each have options for making the videos private, password-protected, or unsearchable.
- Vimeo Allows for password-protected video permissions. (Limited free, web-based)
- Youtube Allows for restricted and private videos. (Free, web-based)
- Google Drive (Free, web-based)
- Jing Free screencapture software (Windows and Mac)
- Quicktime Free screencapture and video capture software, built into Mac OS.
- Screenflow Licensed software with great annotation and editing features.
- iMovie A standard software for video projects. (free, Mac OS)
- Toondoo Text-based comic strip and cartoon maker. (free, web-based)
- Voki Make your own avatar, with voice recording. (free, web-based)
- Cartoon Story Maker Create your own comics with templates or your own images, add speech bubbles and/or voiceover, and export them to HTML. (free, Windows)
- PowToon Create flash-based animations with voiceover, and export them to Youtube. (web-based, free with optional upgrades.)
- Rubistar - Rubric designer. (free, web-based)
These tools are great alternatives to Powerpoint.
- Prezi Prezi is a cloud based presentation software that opens up a new world between whiteboards and slides. The zoomable canvas makes it fun to explore ideas. (Free, web-based)
- Google Slides (formerly “Google Presentations”) is a cloud-based Powerpoint alternative. (Free, web-based)
- Slideshare - Allows you to share pdfs, word documents, and powerpoint slides on the web. (Limited free features, web-based)
Concept-Mapping & Mind-Mapping
A mind map is a diagram used to visually outline information. A mind map is often created around a single word or text, placed in the center, to which associated ideas, words and concepts are added. Major categories radiate from a central node, and lesser categories are sub-branches of larger branches. Categories can represent words, ideas,tasks, or other items related to a central key word or idea.
- Inspiration and Webspiration (Licensed software and web app)
- Coggle Mind-mapping web app. (Free, web-based)
Mapping Software (Geotagging & GIS)
- Turnitin (Licensed service for institutions)
Research Tools (Reference Management)
- Mendeley (Free software and web portal)
- Endnote (Licensed software and web portal)
- Zotero (Free browser plugin and web portal)
- Google Sites (Free, web-based)
- Google Forms Create surveys and embed them easily by using a Google Form. The results are tabulated in a Google Spreadsheet. (Free, web-based)
- Socrative Socrative is great for use during class. The instructor can poll the class, and students can easily log in and respond within moments from any web browser - on a smart phone, iPad, or computer. (Free, web-based)
- Survey Monkey Create surveys and track the responses all from within Survey Monkey. (Limited free, web-based)
Becoming a life-long learner with technology
Readings on Technology in Education
- Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants by Robert Prensky
- Using Technology As A Learning Tool, Not Just The Cool New Thing from Educause
Tutorials and Resources
- The Teacher’s Guides to Technology and Teaching by Edudemic
- 4Teachers.org is a great site for educational technology resources.
Educause is nonprofit association and the foremost community of IT leaders and professionals committed to advancing higher education.
- Ed Tech Teachers Teaching with Technology
- Foreign Language Teaching Methods (Technology Modules) offered by the University of Texas
- Instructional Technology Resources for Language Teaching by Veronica Sardegna
- Wikis in a Nutshell by the University of Regina Center for Teaching and Learning
- An overview of E-Portfolios from the Educause Learning Initiative
- Why use an LMS? by Princeton’s Office of Instructional Technology
- The Flipped Classroom by Edudemic
- 9 Wrong And 8 Right Ways Students Should Use Technology by Edudemic
- 6 Hot Trends in Educational Technology by EdTech Magazine